When it comes to a good sleep, our needs are different.
If you are plus-sized, you'll definitely need a durable mattress that can support and keep you comfortable while you sleep.
This article will help you decide which is the best mattress for heavy people. We will be discussing the features, cons, and pros of the top 5 mattresses for heavy sleepers on the market today.
Let's start by listing our top 5, thereafter, we will dig deeper to discuss the details of each product and why we have included it in this product review.
Best Mattresses For Heavy People in 2018
1. SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress with Comfort Coil Technology- Best Air Mattress For Heavy People
2. Tuft & Needle (Full/Queen) Mattress- Best Weight Support
3. Signature Sleep Mattress 12-Inch Memory Foam Mattress- Most Budget-Friendly
4. Classic Brands Cool Gel Ultimate Gel Memory Foam 14-Inch Mattress- Most Comfortable
5. Olee Sleep 13 inch Galaxy Hybrid Gel Infused Memory Foam and Pocket Spring Mattress- Most Durable
Now that we have listed the best 5 mattresses for heavy people above, we will be shedding more light on each one.
SoundAsleep Dream Series mattress contains a ComfortCoil Technology made with 40 internal air coils that give it its durability and support. It has a 1-click internal pump which makes it easy for fast inflation and deflation. Within 4 minutes, Dream Series mattress reaches maximal inflation and firmness. It is among the best air mattress in the market.
The air mattress is designed for you and your guests use as it has a capacity of 500 lbs. So, if you are heavy, it is the best for you. It will comfortably occupy you and your partner.
It has an extra thick and waterproof flocked top, this offers an additional comfort and durability with a multilayer, puncture-resistant material. Carry bag included for easy transport.
However, If you are in search of a reasonably priced air mattress, SoundASleep dream is perfect for you. It offers you a more comfortable sleeping surface with its 15 gauge material and multi-layered flocked.
You are assured of the bed not giving you unwanted sliding during use as it has SureGrip Bottom. This SureGrip technology provides the mattress with a suction grip on hard and flat surfaces which are more prone to mattress moving during use.
It is made of puncture resistant material which is used for added durability against wears. To enhance its durability, it is made from durable nylon.
- Product Dimensions: 78 x 58 x 19 inches
- Item Weight: 19 pounds
- Color: Blue and beige
- Pump: Internal, high capacity pump included
- Capacity: 500 lbs
- It is raised at double height so is easy to get in and out of, and doesn’t get cold overnight
- It is made of waterproof and puncture resistant materials
- Soft extra thick flocked top
- Portable with an included carry bag
- Integrated power cord storage that keeps it looking neat and tidy
- It is made for indoor use only because the pump’s internal motor can only be powered using a plug to a wall outlet
Most users love the design except for the general complaint of the strong chemical odor when used for the first time
The Tuft & Needle mattress has foam layers which provide both support and conforming pressure relief for all weights. It is made of different proprietary foams with sizes ranging from Twin to California King.
With its 7-inch high-density poly foam, it gives you comfort and support help keep the spine and body aligned. It has a support core which is paired with a 3-inch high-density foam to form the comfort layer that provides you with an excellent pressure relief.
The cover is made from a simple and durable fabric; it is made with a Polyester and nylon blend. Tuft & Needle’s mattress is designed with adaptive foam which conforms well with the user irrespective of the shape, size, or weight.
- Item Weight - 61 pounds
- Product Dimensions 54 x 75 x 10 inches
- Capacity: 500 lbs and a total of 1000lbs on a two sleeper mattress
- Type: Foam
- Not too heavy to move/lift
- Easy installation
- Quiet and motion isolation
- Pressure relief/comfort
- Favorable temperature
- Firmness or too hard for some sleepers
- Edge support
- No handles for moving or lifting the mattress
Some users complained that the mattress is way too firm and stiff. Some also complained that it gets too hot and wakes them up at night. However, most users love the product and enjoy sleeping on it as it contains them perfectly
The Signature Sleep Memoir 12-inch mattress is made with CertiPUR-US certified foam with a 4" top layer and 15 gauge pocket coils.
You will feel the sense of exceptional body contouring and hug when you sleep on the mattress. The mattress molds to your body's natural shape, and that enhances you a sweet and comfortable sleep.
Signature Sleep Memoir 12-inch mattress minimizes and distributes pressure evenly. It provides you a full support in different directions. It comes with a 3 Zones Pressure Comfort system for sensitive areas. It has lightweight mattress thus, you can easily carry it around.
This Memory Foam mattress is made with resilient materials including a soft cover which is not removable. It is made of breathable knit fabric
This mattress has a slight off-gassing from the chemical composition of the foam. Therefore, it is best to leave it under air it for 48 hours before use. It will also help in returning the mattress to its original shape.
- Density - 8 inches thick, 0.5” High-density support foam on its top and bottom layer.
- Size- Twin; 12-inch
- Product Dimensions -75 x 39 x 12 inches
- Weight - 39.6 pounds
- More affordable than others in its category
- It has great motion isolation
- Great body contouring
- Good for all type of sleeper
- Breathable and cool sleeping surface
- It is durable
- It has a smell and off-gassing upon unpacking
- You need a foundation for it
- It has just a 1-year warranty
Most users gave a positive review of the product, especially for great comfortability and durability. Some love it for its price. However, there are complains about the chemical smell and some reactions to the first few days of use
Classic Brands Cool Gel Ultimate Gel Memory Foam 14- Inch Mattress is made with high-quality memory foam which conforms to your body shape. It has a cool gel that helps regulates temperature making it favorable all times irrespective of the weather. It is hypoallergenic thus creating no reaction to allergens like dust mites and molds.
It is one of the most comfortable mattresses on the market right now and is clearly recommended by us for this reason.
- Size: Queen, 2017-Model
- Product Dimensions : 80 x 60 x 14 inches
- Weight - 60 pounds
- It is durable
- Memory foam mattress
- It has a firm feel
- Luxury mattress
- 25-year warranty
- It is heavy
The mattress is amazing to most users except for the complaint about poor packaging.
Olee Sleep 13 inch Galaxy Hybrid Gel Infused Memory Foam is designed to offer great comfort and enhance perfect sleep. It absorbs and distributes weight effectively thus can help in relieving joint and back pain.
The top layer of the mattress is covered with a soft fabric, which plays an important role in enhancing comfort. The mattress fabric is durable and does not get dirty easily, allowing it to be used for a long time. The fabric enhances the free flow of air, so, it is a breathable mattress.
- Weight - 135 pounds
- Product Dimensions - 80 x 76 x 13 inches
- Jacquard Cover
- Foam - Memory Foam
- Density- Convoluted High Density; High-Density Foam.
- Dura Coil.
- Perfect back support
- The mattress is durable
- Enhancing comfort
- Good ventilation
- Reasonable price
No negative feedback from users. Most users love the mattress
Buying Guide for Mattresses For Heavy People
1. Check The Mattress Weight Capacity
Firstly, you need to look at the product you are going to buy. If you are looking for something special for a person, it should be ideal for your weight.
For example, the big fig mattress described above is specified to accommodate from 300 to 500 pounds. Your purchase must also be of lasting and good quality. It must also be convenient and supportive. Otherwise, you will have to compromise on your sleep, which can lead to serious health problems. In addition, this sleep deprivation can lead to a decreased concentration that seriously affects your work.
2. Look For The Bestseller
The best selling mattress in an online store is a smart option to go and we have listed some of them above. This is the most advisable way to proceed as there must be a good reason for the product to receive the "Best Selling" tag. But it is possible that although it is the most popular seller, it does not meet your expectations or specific requirements. Therefore, this leads to the above-mentioned point to properly check the description.
3. Top Reviews
Top ratings tell us that the other customers who have previously bought are more than happy with the mattress. It has met your expectations and you sleep better than ever. Top ratings often become best sellers so they go hand in hand, but it's still important to buy the right product for you, not just what everyone else has chosen. Therefore, this does not mean that it is not sufficient for your needs, even if it is not a bestseller or top seller.
4. Best Price
In the end, everything depends on your budget. You may not be willing to spend your hard earned money because the seller claims that it is the best mattress online. Extensive research is required before relying on the products you want to buy.
5. Mattress Thickness
The ideal thickness of a mattress for heavy people or overweight couples should be at least 10 inches. The thickness can be divided into at least two or more layers: First, the backing layer of high-density foam that serves as the base or platform. The optimal thickness should be at least 5 inches.
You put pressure on the mattress and therefore the backing layer should be able to bear this pressure to the second level. With the comfort layer being the highest, the thicker the better. It can be made of any material, usually memory foam or latex. If you have a strong support mattress, the comfort layer would provide support, comfort, and support for a good, healthy sleep.
6. The Strength of the Mattress
The strength of a mattress typically has three levels - soft, medium and firm. For overweight and couples sharing a mattress, we recommend medium support as this strength greatly supports you greatly. In addition, the comfort level is maintained, which leads to a good night's sleep.
A solid support is the proposed mattress for back problems. Being too tight for the overweight can eventually cause you some pain in the joints. On the other hand, it should not be too soft for overweight people as it might disturb your posture. It will make you uncomfortable and therefore it is not advisable.
7. Edge Support
Edge supports ensure that the edges do not collapse at the ends or sides. We all sit on the edge of the bed from time to time. But even without sitting, with regular use, it is almost inevitable that one morning you are on the edge and unexpectedly collapses. It will surely ruin your morning. It is important for you to consider this factor when choosing a mattress.
8. Well Ventilated
A mattress that provides good ventilation is very desirable for overweight people or heavy couples sharing a bed. Regardless of your climate, it is common for overweight people to become hotter than others at night. A mattress that is not well ventilated does not dissipate the resulting heat. A breathable mattress absorbs the heat and spreads accordingly, keeping it cool. These are usually defined as cooling mattresses.
Overweight people would most likely need something known as the bariatric mattress. However, not every mattress for overweight people is known as bariatric. Some are simply thicker and more durable, thus they are tailored for obese and heavy people. However, some medically researched mattresses are more expensive, these are the bariatric mattress which is rather extremely big. Our reviews above are a mix of both.
Types of Mattress
The type of mattress you choose is highly important as there are different types of mattresses available online. Below are the different types;
1. Memory Foam - A memory foam mattress is a good choice for a heavy person (or a couple) as it provides good support that molds around the contours of your body. When you are buying a memory foam, make sure it's gel, as this type keeps people cool at night. It is unlike the traditional visco-elastic ones that can create a hot sleep.
Another advantage of gel over conventional viscoelastic is the increased reaction time. This essentially means that the gel comfort layer surface flattened faster when changing position than viscoelastic surfaces and thus the sleeping position is improved at night.
2. Latex- Latex mattresses are generally known for their durability and good ventilation. These two attributes are a necessity for overweight people. You do not want your mattress to collapse within a few years of purchase. In addition, good cooling ensures that you do not feel restless when sleeping. In addition, the elastic nature of latex makes it quite easy to move and change position for those who find it difficult.
3. Spring Core - A spring mattress is another possible option for serious people. The spring core can consist of various different coil arrangements. In addition, it provides good edge support and good ventilation. If you are buying pairs, the pocket suspension is not a bad choice as it gives a minimal movement isolation from partner to partner. This is because of the individually packaged and functioning coils.
However, there are problems with these mattresses that overweight people need to consider. They are not as durable as the ones mentioned above, and over time they can tend to generate noise when used frequently.
4. Hybrid - The latest addition on the market is a so-called hybrid mattress. These are good options for being overweight, as the combination of two materials can be tailored more than with one type of material. For example, the top (comfort layer) in a hybrid may be an elastic and durable latex layer but with a spring base. This would lower the overall cost and be a much cheaper option.
Over To You
Did you find this review helpful? Have you used any of this mattress before? is there a type of mattress for heavy people that you think should be on this list? Kindly let us know by leaving a comment. we will like you to share your experience with us in the comment section.